I offer pro bono design work to qualifying
nonprofit organizations looking for a simple yet functional Web presence.
You must be a federally registered NPO unaffiliated with any religious
group, preferably with a focus on education, social progress & justice,
and/or environmental and wildlife conservation.
What I am offering is a starter site rather than a bells-and-whistles
package. NPOs who have reached a stage where they are looking to invest
in extensive Web presence should (and usually do) look to established
Web design firms, or hire a full-time creative and technical staff for
this purpose. The service I am offering is for smaller groups who can
benefit greatly from having a site, but do not have the in-house expertise
to build one or the funds to pay for outsourcing the project. If we
prove to be a match, you will receive the following:
- One custom look and feel based on your organization's needs,
desires and available resource, designed with an emphasis on the following.
- Professional quality
- Broad cross-browser platform compatibility
- Fast loading
- Ease of use
- Ease of maintenance
- Open-ended and scalable
If you decide to add more intensive features such as databases in
the future, the design will not get in the way of implementation
- Documentation outlining the rationale and the structure of the site
(site map), easy-to-follow instructions on making simple content or
menu item additions/changes to the site.
- Expert advice on making the most of the site, including search engine
pickups and mailing lists.
- 2 months of support by e-mail. This time is intended as a acclimation
period for you, the new site administrator.
In return, I ask for the following:
- That you as an organization have already come to an agreement on
what the purpose of the site is, and what content to feature on the
- That you be willing to learn basic HTML and Web-related skills in
order to maintain and grow the site once you take ownership of it
- That you communicate your organization's needs and objectives to
me in clear and comprehensive terms
- That you respect my experience in designing and building custom
sites, and trust me to produce a site that serves your unique needs
- That you extend to me the same courtesy and observance of timeliness
that I do to you
- That you will allow a "designed by..." byline link that
leads back to this page so that other NPOs can also take advantage
of this offer
All costs associated with domain registration and web hosting are your
responsibility. There are quite a few web hosting companies out there, so
do make sure you shop around. I'm personally very happy with my hosting company,
Banana Hosting. Do make sure to pick a hosting
company with reliable service and good 24/7 customer service. It's no
good having a site if it's always down, and nobody is answering your frantic
calls about it.
This may seem like a lot of conditions and requests, but I am committing
to donating a lot of skilled labour (my rate scale for sites of this scope
would be $750 to a $1000) and relinquishing any copyright claim to the
design. (I reserve the right to refer to the site or its design drafts
as a portfolio piece). If after you've reading the above you are ready
to start the process, please fill in the form to the upper left. I will
get back to you within 3 business days.